On-line petition launched to increase lodge vouchers for San Diego County flood victims

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — With lodge vouchers for flood victims set to run out in a couple of weeks, a gaggle of volunteers simply began a marketing campaign to increase these vouchers by a number of months.

Angie Landavazo stated she’s going to always remember the sight of flood waters overcoming her yard and neighborhood in Mountain View on Jan. 22.

“My complete yard was coated. It seemed like a pool. That’s once I went into panic,” Landavazo stated.

Ultimately, the 4-foot-high water inside worn out practically all of the belongings of her household of three. They did have flood insurance coverage for the home, however the private property misplaced wasn’t coated.

Within the aftermath, Landavazo says she is grateful for lodge vouchers. Her household is presently on the Consolation Inn in Chula Vista.

“Each day, you’re reliving what’s happening, however not less than I’ve someplace to go, a mattress to sleep on,” stated Landavazo.

When the County took over the voucher program in mid-February, it decided that lots of of displaced households, greater than 900 folks in all, had been eligible.

These vouchers expire on Mar. 25, and advocates working with flood victims fear they will not be prolonged.

“Individuals undoubtedly are going to wish greater than 19 days to repair their dwelling,” stated Aaron Swanton.

Swanton, a band member who misplaced gear to the floodwaters, helped kind Collectively San Diego, which has organized volunteers for the aid efforts.

A number of days in the past, they began a web based petition drive to have the County prolong the lodge vouchers by 90 days.

“Persons are simply starting to choose up the items of their lives … The very last thing they should fear about is being homeless,” stated Swanton.

Whereas FEMA has given out lodge rental help or funds, Landavazo says it is not sufficient.

She expects to be out of her dwelling for a number of months however is aware of of neighbors who will likely be out for much longer. She says these neighbors are getting a fraction of the help they should rebuild their properties, which suggests the rebuild will likely be sluggish.

“I really feel for them … There’s already trauma from the flood. Now, you add extra … saying you we will’t prolong you,” stated Landavazo.

Collectively, San Diego hopes to current the petition to the County Board of Supervisors at an upcoming assembly.

Credit: Original Article